Sunday, December 6, 2009

Mikulas left some loot in our boots for this morning's breakfast of candy... and peanuts and mandarins... Szonja and I got up at the usual 7, went to the living room and played on the floor for awhile and then came back to bed. When I'm too tired to really feel so involved with her I try to do things from my book Itsy Bitsy Yoga. It has exercises to do with your baby and I find it useful to follow the exercise and by the end I feel more centered and in tune with Szonja. Some of the exercises are as simple as lying your hands on your babies chests, getting eyecontact and breathing deeply and sending warmth through your hands. This really works to calm Szonja, probably because it calms me. The other exercies are things like touching toes to hands on opposite sides, or bicycling her legs. I recommend the book. Even though a lot of the things in it are obvious, sometimes it's nice to have a list of 'what to do'. When Szonja woke back up around 10 I felt guilty for staying asleep but Csaba was actually playing with her hands. She likes to just play with fingers and touch hands together, stroking. It feels so nice to stroke her little fingers and she enjoys it too. After we were really up for the day, Csaba made breakfast and I lazed abotu with Szonja in bed. She fell back to sleep and then Csaba and I could have breakfast together. Last of the good market kolbasz! But, there is a guy in town who makes English style and italian style sausages and then delivers, so we want to try that. After that I tried to convince Csaba to come with us to the WAMP (handmade, design market) but he felt like resting at home. I was tempted to stay and watch a super cheesy Whoopie Goldberg becomes Santa Christmas movie, because those kind of Christmas movies are nice sometimes, but thought I would be happier if I got out into the air.
Szonja models her new hat, made by Santa's elves, delivered by Kati Nagymama. We can walk from out place to the center of town at Erzsebet Ter by going across the Chain Bridge. It's a nice walk, and just happens to be in one of the most beautiful places in Budapest. I always feel lucky seeing all the tourists with their cameras and think 'ha! this is what I see everyday!' I love walking across the chain bridge, the way the wind blows from the river, and how the birds fly. When it's misty it's still nice to walk across. Even nicer with a baby, because almost everyone smiles. :-)
I had plans to take pictures of all the cool designer stuff, but we got SO HOT that I had to take a lot of Szonja's clothes off, plus my jackets and so I accidentally stuffed the camera that was in the pocket into my bag. Oh well. It was nicer carrying Szonja anyway and though it was kind of hard to see a lot of things I showed her dolls and other toys to check her reactions. It's fun to see how she really doesn't just react the same to whatever I show her, she has her tastes already! By the way, I am sort of plotting how I could make a doll similar to the one in the picture behind us out of clothes that don't fit me anymore... Tips?
Outside of Gödör there is this cool Christmas tree made out of plastic water bottles.

Next we walked to the Christmas market at Vörösmarty Tér. It was nice, but I think we maybe arrived at the busiest time. I think we will try tgo back another time.


Ever since I have been in Hungary I go to this market and feel like buying the same things every year. I never have, maybe because the crowds always make me nervous and i don't really feel like actually buying anything. The teapots and milk jugs with the above pattern have been calling me for 6 (count them 6!) years now. Maybe it's about time I splurge. They're not even that expensive.
I also love these nativity scenes made from corn husks. I'm not religious at all, but there is something about nativity scenes that I have always loved. First of all, I really do love the Christmas story. Born in a manger? Cool! Kings and wise men? Awesome. A giant star? What a great story. We had a nativity scene growing up that I loved to set up. I thought it was precious and valuable and always treated it carefully. I love Christmas - for the cheer, for Santa, for the presents, for the decorations, for family - but also for the celebration of the birth of a baby. Even from a non religious point of view, I think this is really what makes the holiday special. It is truly a celebration for children, about a child. I don't want to leave this aspect of Christmas out with Szonja. I love the religious carols as much as the Rudolph type. I think singing them at school pagaents was my first taste of poetry and the mystery of beautiful words. When I sing O Come All Ye Faithful it resonates with the childhood part of me - it feels magic and mysterious. Anyway, I have been wanting one of these nativities for 6 years now too. There's another one below that I want even more. Though it would be nice if you could arrange the people in different positions and play with them.
Wool mittens.
I love that in Hungary there are so many decorations made from fruit and nuts and stuff. Beautiful. Again, wanted these for 6 years now.
This is the nativity I want. The one in the back that shows the manger. You can't see the cow, but it's awesome. It costs 5000 forint, which is about 25 dollars I guess.

Speaking of babies, here's a couple butt cheeks to cheer you up. Don't you love those rolls?! I like to let her be naked every day for awhile because I think it's good for her motor development. Especially when she's wearing the cloth diapers her clothes are sort of in the way.
Rudolph and Szonja.
Aren't the leg warmers hip?
I was trying to capture her actually managing to get her toes in her mouth, which she can do, but she can't keep them there for long. Today was a two-times-naked kind of day.
Tomorrow it's back to work - I can tell I'm going to miss my days of doing whatever I want. But maybe this will force me to be more focused on what I do in the mornings. Oh, I'm working on some snowflake garlands, so maybe some pictures later. tomorrow maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment