Wednesday, December 9, 2009

December 9th - Wishes

To get into the spirit of Christmas I am writing a letter to Santa Claus. Don't worry, I don't really expect to get these things, but it's fun to write a list like this around Christmas anyway. I thought it might be nice years from now to see what I wanted. It does say something about a person after all.

Dear Santa,
You haven't heard from me in awhile, but I'm a really big fan. I was hoping you would lend us a little of your magic this year, and even a few items from your workshop. Do you mind if I give you a quick list? I promise you cookies and milk, and a carrot for the reindeer.
  • magazine subscriptions. The Atlantic, Harpers, BBC Good Food magazine, Martha Stewart, something to surprise me
  • a long woven wrap, like Didymos brand. Well, specifically the wool one in turquoise. If I can be even more specific, then a print like the peacock one. But that's probably stretching it.
  • more of the flower fairy cross-stitch kits
  • a crockpot
  • nursing t-shirts from H and M, or wherever
  • a nativity scene made from corn husks
  • new underwear
  • books. there's one called Writing Motherhood. Craig Arnold's last book of poetry. GOOD novels.
  • massages, pedicures, manicures
  • the bird tray from IKEA
  • bamboo crochet hooks
  • fancy yarn
  • a sewing machine
  • fancy pens and art stuff
  • sewing scissors in the shape of a bird (you know the kind I mean, so pretty.)
  • matching set of pretty bed sheets
Thanks ahead of time!

And what we did today, when I wasn't thinking of what I want for Christmas:

Today I was UP! and out of bed as soon as Babó woke up - I think that I need to do this in the morning to get a head start on the day. I need to think of her as my alarm clock. So, 6:30 it was. Totally manageable, a civilized time to start the day really. A little playing in the living room, a little laundry, Bob's Red Mill cereal with brown sugar and milk. Nice. My plan was then for the baby to do her part and take her usual hour long nap at 9, and then we'd head out to the mommy-baby group just after. Hrm. She's not falling for the whole cuddled against me, hand on her cheek, pacifier in her mouth thing anymore. In fact it seems that she's getting less and less interested in having it at all. Maybe I have to find a new way to get her to fall asleep. By the way, yesterday I was struggling in the same way to get her to sleep quickly while I was at work and actually put her down in the bed awake and it actually worked - she fell asleep. Anyway, I was so frustrated about this little thing, that got frustrated about other household stuff, snapped at Csaba. I think I actually have a lot of suppressed, or maybe not so supressed stress about working and how I can't just follow her lead like I've been doing up to now. Anyway. As usual going to the group helped to relieve a lot of my stress. I think a mothers' group is a must for mothers if it's at all possible. Or at least having other mothers to spend time with and talk to.
I have been trying to figure out the hip wearing thing, so tried some different ties and stuff there. The one on me is the moby-esque stretchy wrap tied in my own invention, and the one on the right is our hotsling. I think I just have to watch the dvd again and maybe it will be good for quick use while I'm working.

Things with the little guy are still interesting. I can't really figure him out. Sometimes I think he just plain doesn't like me - it's so hard to get into any sort of play with him, he ignores me half the time, tells me to go away, and then the next minute he's cuddled up to my back while I'm feeding Babó. He is still insisting she's a boy. He wonders about her teeth, or lack thereof, as well as her lack of, um, boy parts. I wonder if he's thinking maybe it has to grow in like her teeth do.
My little nomad.
Still getting good use out of her super cool leg warmers, which by the way look great with her felt fairy slippers. Slippers made by my friend Krisztina, by the way.

Csaba wasn't feeling good tonight and got home before us to sleep and has been sleeping off his headache the whole night. Szonja feel asleep on the walk from the bus down Hunyadi Janos and has stayed asleep (still in her fairy shoes) so it's just been me and the two snorers tonight. I kind of enjoyed eating my bowl of leftover chicken barley soup, a salad, brown nutty Pur Pur bread, and a big glass jar of cold water. Water always tastes best when you drink it from a jar.

1 comment:

  1. I want leg warmers like that!!! they look sooo warm and comfy! love ya!

    ReplyDelete