Monday, January 25, 2010

marmalade - January can jam attempt

Chickie was a good sport about going to Bill's for marmalade making on Sunday. She can be really sensitive lately about new places and faces and it took her awhile to warm up. She wasn't so cool about lying on the floor entertaining herself until the very end and startled very easily the whole time.
I have been wanting to learn about canning, jam making etc. for awhile now, since it seems like the cool thing to lately. There's a website doing a can jam, and for every month they announce one food and then you have to figure out something interesting to do with it. January was citrus, and rather than finding something special, I just tried to do SOMETHING. So, marmalade. This was my second attempt, with ol' buddy Bill and we did lemon as well as orange. Since January isn't over yet I might try the pickled lemons too.
The jam boiling down. Maybe there are more sophisticated ways to make marmalade, but it's really just citrus and sugar all boiled together. Hm. But yum!
Bill is so handy in the kitchen!
We didn't actually do the hot water bath, though the jars did seal. I suppose they wouldn't be good for years and years of storage, but they don't really have to be around my house. I've already almost finished the lemon one. I'm trying to control myself with the orange one, save it for a special occasion, or maybe give it to someone as a gift.

1 comment:

  1. Bill looks fantastic. My mother used to can the peaches from our yard. They were lovely. Now I'm trying to control sugar intake, so I guess the only option would be pickling. Of course I live in the country of pickling. Everything but pickles can be found pickled.

    ReplyDelete